Andrea (pronounced Ahn-drea) Helms is a lifelong singer and worshipper. She brought the best of her talent and spirit to every performance as a contestant on Season 4 of BET’s Sunday Best, the world’s leading gospel competition television show. It took her to the show’s finale, where she was first runner up. Now she’s bringing her best to her debut CD as a Music World Gospel recording artist. Moving Forward, which features songs she performed on Sunday Best, was released in March of this year and has already shot to the #2 spot on the Billboard Music Charts!
Andrea believes that she came out of the Sunday Best experience stronger and more confident than when she went in. “It’s very taxing because not only are you singing for Mary Mary, Donnie McClurkin, Kirk Franklin, Kim Burrell—all these major artists—but you’re on national television,” she recalls. “You have to dig down deep into who you are and try to stay true to who you are, knowing that the only source that you have is God
1. Why Gospel? I was born in in Odessa Texas, the only child…A PK…so gospel music was always a part of my life at home, at school, and at Friendship Church in Denton, Texas, where my father was pastor. I was also trained in classical music so i have an appreciation for that as well but i knew that when the organ rolled it was time to go to church.
2. If you weren’t a recording artist, what would you be doing professionally? Probably what I was doing before Sunday Best which was leading worship, and enjoying my role as a Pastor’s wife.
3. Who is your dream duet partner? Israel Houghton. I think he’s such a trailblazer in the worship arena, I’d love to work with him and Martha Munizzi. Mariah Carey also, i love her. And i never got an opportunity but I wouldve LOVED to record with Whitney Houston she’s been such an inspiration to me!
4. What was the first tape/album you remember buying? It probably was Amy Grant or New Edition lol…
5. What’s the best dish you prepare? “Probably macaronni and cheese. I’ve perfected that one.”
BONUS*** What can fans expect from your music ministry for the rest of 2012? “When you start walking through the doors that God opens, you never know what’s behind that door,” “I really would like to have a platform for my husband and me to share our ministry with the world. I want people to know who we are together and so I’m anxious to see what becomes of that. And also working on the next ablum, we’re looking forward to that. “
article courtesy of GospelLyfe.com